Since my last post a few things have changed around here!
Firstly, on the weekend we went to some markets around 1/2 an hour away and discovered a local Macadamia nut grower - OK nothing exciting there, BUT she is also a certified organic grower of vegetables and their local showgrounds hosts a Vegetable Market every Saturday morning from 6-8am.
This is BIG news for me because for the past couple of years I have been trying to track down some local produce with not very much success - information seems to be very hard to come by LOL!
So, as part of Saturdays being my day to get stuff done whilst the girls have Daddy Day, I am now going to incorporate a trip to the beach to get some vegies into my days! Yes, I will have to be up at 5am and will need a nana nap later in the day, but its hopefully going to be worht the effort! Apparently there are 3 organic farmers amongst them, and a few biodynamic farmers as well - so there should be lots of variety - i can't wait!
Secondly - I have decided to quit my book keeping job - something had to give and this is what we decided would have to go. I'm sad because I was only doing the books for my uncle and I really want to be able to keep helping him out, but as he said last night, people have always been coming and going and I shouldn't feel bad - I have to look after my family first. It does mean our budget is now leaner, but I already feel less stressed and able to focus on things better so I'm sure that means that I will be able to cope with and work around whatever changes need to happen.
Thirdly - We decided that fortnighly budget analysis' were probably a little OTT, so we'll be doing them monthly instead - this will also work better as I usually do one large ingredients order from our Biochemist per month, and at the moment this would throw the fortnightly budgets out of whack. DH also felt that we were doing well enough at the moment so not needing the super strict scrutiny that we had been giving it. Yes we are still buying stuff, but the rate of consumption has greatly reduced, and things are thought about a whole lot more.
Fourthly - We have started our vegie garden! We have Beans, Carrot, Rhubarb, Bok Choy, Spring Onion, Turnip, Swede, Brussels Sprouts, Celery, Lettuce and Parsley planted. Some seeds, some seedlings, and I think most things have germinated. The girls go down and water it each afternoon so I'm hoping this is really going to mean a little more to them than last time we planted vegeis - all they wanted to do then was pick the poor little seedlings out of the ground!
Finally (I think!) I have started a new blog to cover our Renovation Project - I think it deserves a blog of its own as it will get too messy in amongst this! So if you want to read about The Little Cottage that Grew feel free to check it out! I have to update it later with some pictures of what we discovered upon starting to pull up the carpet :D
As for other news, well I can't really think of any! We have Georgie's 2nd birthday coming up soon and have ordered her a cute little timber Farm set from Oxfam as her gift. There are also a few other birthday's coming up soon that I am going to make some clothes for. I also have a huge pile of sewing to do - alterations, reconstructions etc and I really should put a list and a WIP indicator here so I get a bit more motivated to do it - but hopefully once I find a new book keeper for my uncle and hand over the work I will have that bit more energy and time to get into it all.... Acually, my best friend has just moved here and she loves to sew so I have given her some of my massive fabric stash, some patterns and she is making up some PJ's for the girls for me - stuff I need to do but don't really have time to do so I am sooooo grateful that she is willing and able to help me out here!
Oh and I KNEW there was something else to report in! I have not been to our biggest shopping centre here in almost a month! And boy does it feel awesome!!!! The only downside to this though is that the other centre is about to undergo some massive reno's and as a result of the girls sensitivities we will be needing to avoid the exposure to the building and chemical type products so I may need to go back to the big one :( But at least I know I will want to be in and out from now on - its such a lovely feeling to have not been there :D
Alrighty, enough rambling! I'll try and pop some garden pics in soon too :D
Making the most of seasonal produce
11 years ago
3 comments:
Oh wow it sounds like you're doing REALLY well!! Congratulations on tracking down the organic farmer's market - let us know how it goes!!!
YAY!!! You're on a roll girl!!!!
Awww I am sooo jealous of the markets!! Let us know how you get on with them!
The markets were great! I spent a total of $35 and that included 5 plants for $10!
The quality was great and customer service awesome :D
There were only 2 vegies and some pears that I couldn't buy there so had to get at the supermarket so I am very happy with that.
Leaving here at 5am was a big ask though and not something I'm looking forward to doing all the time, but once we got there it was definitely worth it.
Post a Comment