Groceries have a budget of $170/ft but we spent $250 so were over budget by $80.
Household spending is budgeted at $40/ft and we spent $55 so again were over by $15.
Dining out does not have a budgeted amount as it *should* come under groceries, but we ended up spending $137 this fortnight.
I can justify this by saying that Pete was on holidays so we did extra things that we wouldn't normally and he did eat more, and we had a friend in from out of town so we caught up for morning tea one day, dinner that night and morning tea the next day which accounts for the additional dining out expenses.
BUT I don't want to justify it each fortnight - I want to stick to our budget!
This fortnight is also no doubt going to be odd as we are going away next weekend. Yes, we will be staying with relatives and visiting friends, but there will no doubt still be take-away food bought at some stage and the general extra spending that happens when you are traveling. I think I'll see if I can borrow one of my brothers in car refrigerators so we can at least take a bit more food with us than we normally would take to help ease the burden a bit more.
On the upside though, we have a budgeted amount of $77 per fortnight to be paid off our credit card but we actually paid $160, so reduced our debt by an extra $83!
Also, now that Pete is back to work, he will be earning more overtime which will help us reduce this debt much quicker.
We are doing really well with our challenge of being conscious spenders though - neither of us have bought anything that hasn't been on the list and we have a fairly comprehensive list of most of the things we anticipate possibly spending money on this year (obviously there will be some things that do come up from time to time though).
I have been invited to a Diva Cosmetics party in a couple of weeks and rather than deciding at the party what I'm going to buy I already have a list - its one of those things - my friend spent some money at my party and I can't not spend anything at hers and besides the Lemongrass candles give our cosy home such a lovely aroma and ours is nearly all burned out so we discussed it and I will be purchasing some more of these and that is IT!
In other general news, I have been drinking FAR too much Coca Cola lately so decided that as of Monday I was not having any more! Everyone thought I would have withdrawal headaches and not last the week. Well, I did have a coke with dinner last night as it was take-away, but I wasn't craving it and didn't have any withdrawals. What I have worked out is that if I am bored, or if I'm hungry and can't be bothered getting myself something to eat - I'll drink a coke. So I may not have lasted a whole week even without any, but I am now in control of my consumption and aware of why I drink it.
We've also had around 2 weeks of constant drizzly weather here and for my two little girls who are used to playing outside at least twice per day its getting a bit much - they both have major cases of Cabin Fever and we are all getting on each others nerves. But I heard that its supposed to be clearing by the weekend, and we do desperately need rain, so we will survive!
As for our renovations, one builder I spoke to wouldn't even consider talking to us until we have *official* plans drawn up but the office girl suggested betwen $50-60K to raise, restump & level the house, and another $50K ish to do the minor reno's we have planned for Stage 1. Another isn't back at work until next week so I will have to call him then. The third company I have spoken to have been really helpful although they only raise and restump - they won't do the reno's as well, but their price would be in the $20-30K range - much more to my liking and they are a Removal House company so do this all day every day.
The first thing we really need to do is work out exactly what our plans are - do we stay here for a few years and then once the girls need to have their *own* rooms, do the reno's, or sell and move elsewhere, or do we do the Stage 1 reno's for now and then sell & move in a few years... Decisions, decisions!
Ok I think that's enough for today!
Theresa
4 comments:
Hey I think you're doing really well! Its always hard to start off with while you adjust your habits and as you pointed out, the holidays are an expensive time of year. Well done with the credit card and coke habit - woohoo!!!! All steps in the right direction...keep it up!!!
Well done in reducing your debt!
Takeaway is my biggest failing too. Some days it just gets all too much for me and takeaways just seems to make life so much easier. I would say that if its a part of your life like the way it is with mine, then you need to budget for it separately from groceries.
Parties have always been the hardest for me when I went through my challenge. The social expectations to buy is especially more intense for parties, birthdays etc.
Rather than buying something from her, do you think its possible that you can help out with organising the party instead? Eg. make some of the food, invite more people on her behalf, help other people choose something for their purchase etc?
Just a few suggestions. It just sounds like you are contemplating to buy from the party due to the social pressure of it rather than buying because you truly want it.
Still, I think you are doing very well! And wooohooo again with the credit card and coke habit! Its so cool you didn't withdraw. I get withdrawals if I don't get my caffeine hit.
thanks ladies! I'm planning by the end of Feb we will be totally into this, so hopefully by then we'll be right on track with our budget. I hope 2 months is long enough to get us on budget anyway!
We received confirmation yesterday that the Biomedical Intervention Program we are about to embark on to help the girls allergies wills tart in around 3 weeks, so for 9 weeks we will be eating a very strict diet and reporting in daily! So that will mean no take away for us :( I'm a bit sad as like you E, there are times when I just can't deal with cooking and now I don't have a choice - but if it helps the girls, I'll do anything :D
WRT to the party - I am wanting to buy for two reasons - social pressure, and the candles I want do smell divine! BUT do we NEED them? You've given me some great ideas E so I'll have a think about what I can do...
Goodness Theresa, you're going great on the CC! Well done!!
And the coke... you go girl! It's really not that hard hey. And one here or there isn't as bad as all the time. Look at it as a treat... a rare one LOL I am going well with the water, although today I have been slack as we had a whole day out, and drank orange & mango mineral water *blush*. Tomorrow I am back on the wagon!!
I haven't sat down to work out the budget issue yet. We've had afew changes with bills since moving, and now the no car HUGE issue, and not to mention school LOL So I am waiting until after we get through this phase before tackling the budget head on. Reducing our debt is close to the top of my list this year.
I agree with E about budgeting in that takeaway if you are more likely to have it. The weeks you don't have takeaway, maybe you could put the budgeted amount into the CC debt at the end of the week?
Post a Comment