Thursday, January 10, 2008

So, I've been Shopping..

Two very different shopping trips!

Trip 1
On Monday Pete realised he needed a new diary for this year at work so asked me if I could get him one when I was next out. I agreed and seeing as this was a necessary work expense we felt it didn't need the same scrutiny as other purchases. But, it still took me until Wednesday afternoon to get to the shops to buy it!

This was my first trip to our shopping centre since taking the Pledge and I was nervous. But we went in with the sole purpose of buying a diary and that was it - and that was exactly what we did! OK so we had to go via the toilets for Miss E, but that didn't require a purchase!

I'm very proud of myself and so glad I did this because its given me more confidence for future trips to the shopping centre.

Trip 2
Over the past few months I have decided that I am quite the dag! Prior to moving I went through all my clothes and ditched anything that I didn't wear or didn't fit or had a problem with it - they all went to various charities around town. I had decided that I would go to the op-shop and see what I could find when I had time. So, this morning we were running very early for a play date so we popped into the op-shop.

I ended up paying $19.50 (of my own spending money!) and bought:
1 dress
1 pair of pants
4 tops

(Pics to come when I upload them!)

Now this wasn't officially on my list of purchases to be made, but it is something we had been discussing and I knew Pete agreed that I did need knew clothes. So I feel a bit naughty because I didn't put it on the list and wait, but the end result would have been the same - I do NEED a few new things.

And I was able to buy pre-loved items which means substantial cost saving as well as reducing our overall consumption as no new products were manufactured for me to have 6 new items in my wardrobe.


Wardrobe Refashion
So, in light of this morning's purchase I have now joined Wardrobe Refashion for 2 months to start with. This will take effect of the first of next month so I guess if I really do want anything new I have a couple of weeks to buy it in! But in all seriousness, I really would prefer not to spend our money on clothing and being able to refashion some things will give my creativity a huge workout!

I have so much fabric in boxes in the shed that I am also going to start to use that before I buy anything new. The girls are both getting a new outfit out of some of it and I intend to be using that as my first port of call if I need things.

I'm really feeling inspired and yesterday went through my wardrobe and pulled out a skirt and a top that aren't quite right so I'm thinking these things could be the first *victims* of a refashion!

Love
T

3 comments:

History of the Crusades said...

Oh that's so great! Congratulations on your successful trip to the shopping centre. It feels very liberating to come home with only one purchase doesn't it??!

Tanja said...

Well done! I'm glad it has given you so much confidence.
I can't wait for Feb because I plan to make that my wardrobe refashion month. I'm hanging out to see the pics of your op-shopping, and of your refashioning.

Theresa said...

Thanks guys!

CC you are right - it IS liberating!

T - we can be refashioning buddies together - yay!

Here's hoping the success continues :D