Thursday, July 24, 2008

Curse You, Jamie Oliver!

I am tired and grumpy and not being a very nice person today and its all Jamie Oliver's fault! LOL Well, only because I find that anything he does I must watch because I just love the passion for food and cooking that seems to just ooze from everything he says and does...

So, last night I sat up watching "Jamie's Fowl Dinner", a show about a gala dinner he prepared to highlight the Chicken and Egg Industry in the UK. It was, as with everything he does, really interesting to watch and I thoroughly enjoyed it, however it didn't finish until 11pm and that is way to late for this little black duck to be going to bed!

I will have to admit that I don't know how much of our industry here in Australia is similar to that in Great Britain, however I do remember visiting my Great Uncle's who were both Egg Producers when I was a young child and seeing the cages and cages and cages of chooks, an image very similar to those battery hens portrayed in last nights show. I honestly can say it didn't impact on me at that time because, quite simply, we had our own chooks, as did everyone, so we ate our own produce and at that point I didn't realise most people didn't have their own chooks and eggs.

And I guess there is one very distinct advantage to both Miss E and myself having Egg Allergies - we no longer buy any eggs at all so the deicision as to which eggs to purchase isn't one I need to consider! Although, back when we did buy eggs, I used to always try for the free range or organic eggs as I do remember the stark contrast between our chooks/eggs and those chooks kept by my Great Uncles - it didn't impact on me as a child, but by the time I was able to go grocery shopping for myself I certainly remembered...

As for chicken, well, I always found it interesting that the breasts I bought were WAY bigger than the breasts on our own chickens as kids, but I will be honest and say that I never actually put any thought into the reasoning behind it... I know there is a mentality out there that the chickens must be fed steroids or growth enhancers or something, but I also remember seeing a Poultry Industry type report that said those types of things were not used in Chicken production. At that stage I kind of just believed everything the *officials* said... It's something I still haven't looked any further into though... But then, from my involvement in the Cattle Industry (both paid employment and having family members involved in Beef Cattle), I know that certain breeds are chosen for their meat quantity and quality, so breeding chickens specifically to grow really fast and to have large breasts makes sense to me.

But you know at the end of the day, irrespective of my research and my decisions as to which chicken to buy (organic meat is not available here, so that automatically eliminates my preferred choice :( so I do need to look into my options seeing as we do consume so much chicken) the best thing about watching Jamie's Fowl Dinners is quite simply that I am talking about this and hopefully so are many other people, and hopefully this will bring about...

Awareness in Consumption

And not just in relation to chickens and eggs - hopefully it will trigger something in people to start becoming more aware about everything they consume...

2 comments:

Eilleen said...

I think that show really touched a cord with everyone. And yes, I do think awareness is the key.

It sucks that you don't have better choices re: organic meats.

Sometime ago, we had decided it was better to go for organic meats rather than organic veges. While we would prefer both, there are times when we have to prioritise our spending and organic meat wins over organic fruit and veg.

Anyway, yes, I agree.

...now I wonder if Jamie Oliver can do a show on chocolate and child-slavery? Watch children being tortured and beaten just so you can eat a huge block of chocolate for only $1.50....

Theresa said...

Thanks E.

That is so true re prioritising our spending... sure, in an ideal world money would not be an issue at all, but the reality is that there are times when we simply cannot have everything we want.

I bet if JO did a show on chocolate it would be amazing... I wonder if he has some contact details on his website for suggestions?